Whitaker-Huntingdon Inn is located within an 1883 cir. Italianate home
fronting on beautiful 32 acre Forsyth Park within the Savannah Historic
District. Two, two bed room suites are available, each with private baths
and kitchen facilities. This house was constructed in 1883, for Mrs. Jane
Gordon, Mrs. Ellen Williams and their brother, Mr. Robert Lachlison. Jane's
husband, had been a gun runner during the Civil War and he and Jane escaped
to France to avoid being captured during the latter months of the war.
Robert was in the party of local citizens, representing City officials in
December of 1864, when they surrendered the City of Savannah to General
Sherman, the Union Commander, at the conclusion of his "March to the Sea".
Mr. Gordon died prior to the construction of the house and Ellen's husband
lived only a few months after the house was completed. The three siblings
lived in the house approximately 13 years.
McGregor Stewart, the second owner, purchased the house in 1896. He was the
president of three local companies involved in the cotton and insurance
industries and served a term as Mayor of Savannah (1920-1924).
Picture of Double Parlor
third owner was Dr. Lloyd Taylor, a major in the Army Medical Corp, who served
in the Spanish-American and World War I conflicts. He was originally from Rhode
Island but remained in Savannah and opened a private medical practice upon his
discharge from the military. The Taylor family owned the house 42 years to the
day (Feb. 2, 1916-Feb. 2, 1958). In 1923, Dr. Taylor added a portion of the one
story addition on the rear of the structure as his medical office. A rear yard
carriage house was removed to allow this addition. Two additional rear rooms
were also added by Dr. Taylor to the main structure.
newer section of the house has been reported to be occupied by a "lady spirit".
Ask the innkeepers for information about the "Spirit
of 1923". After Dr. Taylor’s six daughters had married and/or moved out, he
converted the second story living quarters into an apartment during World War
1958, Dr. Laurence Dunn, a dentist, purchased the home and he and his family,
wife and six children, lived here almost eighteen years. The side porches were
changed from a double one-over-one design to a single story screen porch in the
early 1960's. The porch offers a great view of Forsyth Park and the gold-fish
pond/fountain overlooking the inn’s private court yard.
The Saxman family purchased the home in 1976 and has been painting and
restoring the structure by removing ceiling tiles, floor coverings, old paint or
adding doors and windows, fences, garages, fish ponds, etc. ever since. The inn
was permitted in 1989 but did not open for business until 1995, after all the
owners’ children had moved out and various renovations were completed.